Air Quality Health Impacts Consultancy
Terms of Reference
Title: Air Quality Health Impacts Consultancy
Contract Type: Consultant
Contract Duration: 9 months
Start Date: August 2019
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
Vital Strategies, headquartered in New York City, is an international public health organization. Our programs strengthen public health systems and address the world’s leading causes of illness, injury and death. We currently work in 73 countries, supporting data-driven decision making in government, advancing evidence-based public health policies and mounting strategic communication campaigns. Vital Strategies’ priorities are driven by the greatest potential to improve and save lives. They include non-communicable disease prevention, cardiovascular health promotion, tobacco control, road safety, obesity prevention, epidemic prevention, environmental health, vital statistics systems building and multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment research. Our programs are concentrated in low-and middle-income cities countries in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific. Please visit our
website at www.vitalstrategies.org to find out more about our work.
Vital Strategies is working to strengthen the local evidence needed to increase public demand for and government commitment to improved air quality management for children’s health and well-being. Vital Strategies is seeking a qualified consultant to support the development of a health impact assessment and economic investment case for improving air quality in Indonesia. A core component of this work will be the comparison of various policy scenarios to promote clean air, to inform the prioritization and ‘packaging’ of feasible and cost-effective clean air interventions to be implemented by government and civil society.
This project requires active stakeholder engagement, as well as the compilation and management of large amounts of intersectoral data related to air quality and its impacts, particularly within the Government of Indonesia. While prior experience in air pollution epidemiology and/or economics is desirable, demonstrated experience managing large datasets will be essential. The candidate will be hired as a Vital Strategies consultant for a 9-month period, and will be allowed to work remotely. Promising candidates would be interviewed in July, with an anticipated start date in early August, 2019.
- Lead the coordination and management for all activities pertaining to the project
- With technical support from Vital Strategies, inventory and compile relevant air pollution and heath data indicators for Indonesia, as well as local economic data needed to inform the analysis, including direct (health care costs) and indirect (due to lost productivity, school absences, etc) costs of air pollution-related illness and death, provide support to an expert health econmetrician to enable data analysis, analyze data using health impact and econometric tools to arrive at impacts, costs and benefits associated with baseline and a variety air pollution policy scenarios, engage with stakeholders from government, academic institutions and civil society to extract relevant information and data to characterize health/economic impacts of air pollution at a national and provincial level
- Convene relevant stakeholder and planning sessions in Jakarta to communicate progress on the project to multiple stakeholders
- Work closely with technical specialists in Vital Strategies and elsewhere to obtain necessary guidance and technical expertise to inform data collection and management efforts and enable data analysis.
- Work closely with Vital Strategies staff, partners, and key stakeholders in Jakarta, on communications activities pertaining to the project.
- Develop a final report for the project
Qualities and Qualifications:
- Is bilingual in English and Bahasa
- Has at least 5+ years working experience
- Has an advanced degree in health economics, environmental economics, environmental epidemiology, or related field, and/or relevant applied expertise
- Possesses demonstrated experience handling large amounts of data
- Demonstrates familiarity with and/or interest in methods and tools for assessing the relative health and economic impacts of policy scenarios to improve air quality. Solid quantitative skills, including applied experience in cost-benefit, cost-effectiveness, or other relevant health investment case analyses, are preferred
- Works effectively in a team.
- Pays attention to detail
- Is experienced in working with Indonesian government partners
- Possesses excellent interpersonal and presentation skills, including ability to communicate effectively to technical and non-technical audiences, develop partnerships, including with government partners and data providers
- Has the demonstrated ability to take initiative, work independently, and make sound, informed decisions
- Has experience in data management (e.g. in MS Excel, Access) and analytical tools (e.g. SPSS, R, BenMap)
How to Apply:
Please send a cover letter, including compensation expectations, and CV to email@example.com. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position is open until filled