SYSTEMIQ aims to catalyse good disruptions in economic systems by building coalitions to shape policies and business strategies, co-creating market solutions in partnership with the private and public sectors, and investing its own venture capital in opportunities with the biggest potential to drive rapid system change. In South-East Asia, SYSTEMIQ is also working to develop market-based solutions for peatland and forest restoration and opened an office in Jakarta in 2017. www.systemiq.earth
Borealis is a leading provider of innovative solutions in the fields of polyolefin plastics, base chemicals and fertilizers. With its head office in Vienna, Austria, the company currently has around 6,600 employees and operates in over 120 countries. Mubadala, through its holding company, owns 64% of the company, with the remaining 36% belonging to Austria-based OMV, an integrated, international oil and gas company. www.borealisgroup.com
Project STOP (www.stopoceanplastics.com) is a new initiative to accelerate waste management system improvements in South-East Asia, starting in Indonesia, co-developed by Borealis and SYSTEMIQ. The project aims to make a scalable front-line contribution to marine plastic debris prevention and ocean health. Collectively across its existing 3 cities, Project STOP has provided waste collection to over 250,000 people and collected over 18,000 tonnes of waste. Following the success of its first city partnership launched in 2018 in Muncar, Banyuwangi, East Java, the Banyuwangi government has appealed to Project STOP to expand waste collection support to the entire Banyuwangi Regency. At full scale, STOP Banyuwangi Hijau will provide waste collection services to 1.4m people.
We would now like to expand from waste into the recycling value chain by building an aggregator, which will buy recyclable waste from TPS3Rs, waste banks and waste pickers and work with local processors and recyclers. We are now looking for an entrepreneurial person to join us in this new venture.
The Aggregator Officer will have a critical role in STOP Banyuwangi Hijau. They will be responsible for managing the successful delivery of a materials aggregator, trading, and logistics company in Banyuwangi.
The role will require working with the STOP Aggregator management team, existing STOP operated TPS 3R, local recycling and material processors, as well as other type of organizations to build a sustainable materials trading and logistic businesses and finding the best markets for its output. This person will ideally be a strong negotiator, and a natural entrepreneur. They will have demonstrated success in identifying opportunities to run profitable Logistic and Supply chain businesses.
In return, we offer a unique opportunity to work with international and local experts and lead a front-line initiative that can deliver breakthrough results for marine plastic prevention, circular waste management, public health and livelihood benefits in Indonesia and the wider region.
- Work closely with the Project Manager to ensure successful execution of the STOP Aggregator project in the city partner location (Banyuwangi)
- Coordinate the activities necessary to launch the STOP Aggregator business, including but not limited to location selection, logistic preparation, market research, partnership with local recyclers and material suppliers
- Coordinate recruitment of the STOP Aggregator management team (with possibility of joining STOP Aggregator team long term)
- Identify local recycling partners based on processes, technologies, output quality, environmental, and social criteria, and secure partnership agreement
Project Development & Monitoring
- Provide business guidance and monitoring to the newly recruited Aggregator management team in managing day-to-day operations of Logistics, Warehouse, and Sales operations and identifying areas of improvement
- Supplier Management – Close coordination with existing STOP waste system operations to secure material supplies. Actively engage with other potential materials aggregators to improve supply, including but not limited to local TPSTs, waste banks, and waste pickers.
- Sales Management – Collaborate with Sales team to support business development, manage customer orders, inventory, and quality control
- Monitor, identify and implement improvement processes and initiatives to maximise efficiency and streamline processes. Driving process improvement to ensure services follow industry standards
- Develop tools to inform the relevant Manager(s) of the price model, transport costs rates, warehouse cost, etc. linked to aggregator operations
- Monitoring of the STOP Aggregator budget and financial performance through regular review of costs and sales prices
- Monitoring of project activities and outcomes, reporting of results, continuous improvement of project strategies and approaches, and codification of the STOP model to enable communication and replication / scaling in other locations
- Years of experience (5 years+) in relevant roles in logistics, supply chain or any related field. Having experience in the recycling industry is a big plus
- Entrepreneurial experience having set up your own small business (ideal but not required)
- Qualification in sector(s) relevant to the project (e.g. recycling, industrial engineering, logistics, materials trading, business or public sector management, environmental, social science or economics)
- Strong analytical skills and able to demonstrate a comprehensive systemic thinking
- Strong problems solving skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Strong entrepreneurial skills
- Strong financial literacy
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Office)
- Passion for helping others achieve financial sustainability
- Able to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Able to demonstrate positive attitude and productive approaches towards challenges in a high-pressure environment
- Ability to communicate effectively in English and Bahasa Indonesian
- Strong fluency in both English and Bahasa Indonesian. Speaking Balinese is a plus.
- Willingness to live in or near Bayuwangi during the 2-3 years project period