The Forests and Climate Change Program (FORCLIME) supports the Government of Indonesia in its endeavour to mitigate the effects of climate change through forestry sector reform, capacity development and implementation of best management practices for sustainable forest management and biodiversity conservation. Field-based activities are being supported in selected districts of the provinces of Papua, West Papua and Central Sulawesi to Reduce Emissions from Deforestation and Degradation (“REDD” activities) and develop a forest-based bioeconomy. FORCLIME is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ (German International Cooperation) with the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry as the Program Executing Agency.
The Programme’s overall objective is to reduce greenhouse gas emissions from the forest sector while improving the livelihoods of Indonesia’s poor rural communities in Eastern Indonesia. To achieve this goal, the Programme team assists the Indonesian Government and provincial authorities in designing and implementing legal, policy and institutional reforms for the conservation and sustainable management of forests, at local, provincial and national level. Support to mobilize climate finance for forest resource management are a feature of the programme, providing decision-makers with experience of how REDD can be implemented “on the ground”.
The Advisor on Sustainable Forest Management and Biosphere Reserve Management contribute to the overall objectives of the FORCLIME Programme 4.0 in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve, Central Sulawesi. In this context, he/she will engage in supporting sustainable forest management (SFM) and biodiversity conservation activities and biosphere reserve management processes within forest management unit and national park and feed information from the field to the province and national level discussions to foster appropriate forest administration reform in the region. This position is based in Palu, Central Sulawesi and focuses on implementation in the field, district and province levels.
The responsibilities include:
- Coordinate and manage activities to the achievement of programme objectives under FORCLIME strategic area 4 that relates to strategic area 1 “Policy Framework”, strategic area 2 “FMU development” and strategic area 3 “Human Capacity Development (HCD)”
- Providing advice and input to, and to cooperate with, a broad range of target groups in the Central Sulawesi in relation to Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve (LLBR) management.
- Initiating, facilitating and administering productive and effective regular meeting of the Coordination and Communication Forum for Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve Management.
- Collaborate with Forest Management Unit (FMU), Forest Program III Sulawesi, district and province government sectors, village government and non-governmental organization in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve in innovative capacity development for community-based forest management (CBFM), agroforestry, non-timber forest product (NTFP) and environment services.
- Create and maintain good collaboration with Provincial Forest Service, FMUs, district governments and village administrations in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve in promoting, and implementing sustainable forest management and marketing sustainable NTFP products of the biosphere reserve.
- In cooperation with the provincial coordinator, he/she co-ordinates and supports the coordination of TC related activities in Central Sulawesi with KfW Forest Program III Sulawesi (FP3), FMUs and related government sectors at district and provincial levels.
- Under guidance of the provincial coordinator, he/she co-ordinates and supports processes in regards to customary forests (especially Indigenous and community conserved areas (ICCAs) with the national park and local authorities.
- Write monthly based report on activities on the fields and development related to LLBR forum.
- Update and manage LLBR website.
1. Biosphere Reserve Forum, Biodiversity, CBFM, NTFP and Agroforestry
- Arrange and manage secretariat and meetings of Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve Coordination and Communication Management Forum
- Cooperates with FMUs, FP3, government sectors, NGOs and Small Medium Enterprises (SMEs) in Lore Lindu Biosphere Reserve in ensuring the evolvement of CBFM, agroforestry, NTFP and NTFP products of the biosphere.
- Supports participatory forestry planning processes involving local communities for CBFM schemes such as conservation partnership, customary forest, Indigenous and community conserved areas (ICCAs), village forest and whatever appropriate.
- Arrange and summarize discussions on customary forest issues in national park and FMU.
- Identifying needs for capacity development at FMU and community organization in CBFM, SMEs and eco-tourism.
- Provides advice to local governments and national park on public service provision towards local community and community forestry/agroforestry/NTFP/environment services concepts including land tenure arrangements for smallholders in the district.
- Develops networks with villages, local governments, SMEs, NGOs and other stakeholders to support CBFM, agroforestry, NTFP and environmental services advocacy.
- Prepares and conducts workshops, training activities, seminars, etc. related to CBFM/agroforestry/NTFP/environment service in the framework of FORCLIME’s activities in Central Sulawesi.
- Undertakes frequent field visits to the selected villages to ensure activities are proceeding as planned.
2. Knowledge Management, Communication and Net working
- Coordinates TC related activities to biodiversity, agroforestry/NTFP and ensures good networking with local government, FP3, FMUs and LLBR Management Forum.
- Compiles and documents information about ongoing initiatives relevant for his/her tasks in Central Sulawesi and ensures knowledge transfer to the other team members of FORCLIME.
- Prepare reports, guidelines, manuals, presentation materials and material to be placed at the FORCLIME and LLBR websites.
- Facilitate the preparation, execution and documentation of training, workshops, forum meetings, and other project activities.
- Develop project planning, including preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises in FORCLIME Central Sulawesi Team.
- Conduct monitoring and evaluation and to regular progress reports.
3. Other duties/additional tasks
- Support the provision of logistics for FORCLIME staff and visitors for Central Sulawesi activities;
- Support development advisors in their tasks, once apply.
- Accompanies and guides visitors in connection with field trips
- Provide support to organizational and management matters
- Assisting in task concerning administration and finance management
- Regularly communicates with the component manager and other team members, and participates in regular team meetings
- Participates in regular and extensive field visits to the FORCLIME intervention areas and other regions as and when required
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- University degree in forestry or relevant fields on sustainable forest resources management, forest management unit development and operationalization, biodiversity conservation and protected area management.
- Good knowledge and skills in Geographic Information System (GIS), preferably ArcGIS 10.8.
- Experience in CBFM and community empowerment.
- Experience in multistakeholder forum dynamic and management.
- Experience in website management.
- At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position
- Have some experiences in working with or facilitating customary forest management and conservation partnership.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong managerial and organisational competence
- Willingness to travel regularly
- Basic Knowledge of English
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Intimate local knowledge about Central Sulawesi
- Good facilitation skills
- Good communication skills
- Able to work independently and with limited resources and support.
Duty Station: Palu, Central Sulawesi
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Senior Advisor for Biodiversity Focal Point for the KfW – Forest Program 3 and Provincial Coordinator Central Sulawesi.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on April 22nd, 2021.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line:
FORCLIME 4.0 – Advisor SFM & BRM
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.