The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German federal enterprise which provides services worldwide for sustainable development. In addition to public-benefit international cooperation projects, the company also supports clients of the private sector in achieving the Sustainble Development Goals (SDGs) through GIZ International Service (InS).
GIZ is currently implementing a project in Indonesia called “Sustainable Smallholder Oil Palm (SULAM). The project aims at preparing independent oil palm smallholders for the Roundtable of Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) certification while also supporting them in meeting the Indonesian Sustainable Palm Oil (ISPO) standard. In addition, the project will help the smallholders to connect with a more sustainable supply chain network. Over the course of the next 30 months, the project will work with independent smallholder cooperatives in East Kalimantan (Borneo), Indonesia.
The project entails three major work packages:
- Farmer and cooperative training based on the ISPO and RSPO standards;
- Land-use planning and environmental management, including the identification and management of high conservation value areas;
- Market linkage of cooperatives with a sustainable supply chain network.
The Farmer Advisors will fulfil a key role in the project team and will be integral for the success of the project. We are therefore looking for enthusiastic candidates who bring passion, positive energy, and a can-do mentality. The candidates actively bring ideas forward to the project and are equipped with a great ability to lead people, as well as manage and optimize operations. They should have a talent for liaising with a variety of partners and be able to inspire them to collaborate on the sustainable production of oil palm in the focused landscape.
- Develop a tailor-made training and capacity development action plan for the partner smallholders and their cooperatives to apply best management practice and to close the gap between the current practice and the sustainability standards (RSPO and ISPO);
- Support the local government extension office and the partner cooperatives in implementing the sustainable palm oil training program;
- Map the supply chain between farms and refineries and identification of agricultural input suppliers;
- Facilitate supply-chain partnership with the off-takers and input suppliers;
- Advise the partner cooperatives in (a) fair and transparent decision making, (b) establishing and implementing internal control system, (c) preparing farm management and business plan, (d) record keeping and data management, (e) membership management, sustainability declaration, and monitoring.
- Responsible to prepare and implements events, workshops, and conferences;
- Support knowledge management measures;
- Assist the project leader in project management tasks as assigned.
- Management and Coordination:
- Supports project planning by developing concepts and strategies, ensure implementation;
- Actualizes the plan continuously together with the counterparts;
- Formulate project planning and budgeting as well as the regular monitoring for the ISPO/RSPO component;
- Closely cooperate with the advisors in the SCPOPP (Sustainable and Climate-friendly Palm Oil Production and Procurement) project;
- Contributes to the coordination of the project works so that the objective and indicators can be achieved;
- Supervise consultants, grantees, and interns for the project;
- Contributes to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the project responsible manager;
- Represents project when needed;
- Evaluates the results of activities and give input/feedback for better implementation.
- Professional Advisory Services:
- Determine requirements for external support and advice and promotes a strategic approach;
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process, joint project/ program activities;
- Formulates terms of references and selects and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out project/program activities, including performance evaluation;
- Deals with the design, preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the work package;
- Assures the alignment of the project’s service provision with the partner’s needs.
- Networking and Cooperation:
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with partners, relevant organizations, non-governmental agencies, and individuals with other related projects to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- Travels in accordance with GIZ requirements;
- Supports project leader in smooth partner relations;
- Communicates and channel local interests and aspirations and exchange ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
- Knowledge Management:
- compiles information and ensures knowledge transfers;
- draws up reports and presentation documents;
- formulates appropriate input for project reports.
- Minimum Bachelor/B.S degree in agronomy or other related academic fields.
- At least 5 (five) years’ professional experience on works related to the improvement of oil palm cultivation practices to meet sustainability standards, value chain partnership, and data collection,
- Experienced in project management.
Other knowledge, additional competencies
- Very familiar with sustainability standards (ISPO and RSPO) and the challenges for the smallholders to improve their productivity;
- Strong skill in designing and facilitating an effective multi-stakeholder partnership;
- Excellent capability to plan, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of various capacity development measures;
- Have basic knowledge of data organization (collection, validation, standardized processing, storage, and protection);
- Familiar with the concepts of traceability-to-plantation and supply-chain partnership;
- Excellent working knowledge of IT technologies (related software, phone, email, the internet) and basic computer applications (e.g., MS Office);
- Basic English skills; German knowledge would be an advantage;
- Focused, proactive and positive working attitude;
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team;
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other programs and partners;
- Ready to work in remote rural areas, link and cooperate with stakeholders from rural communities;
- Aware of social and intercultural sensitivities, flexible and possess a sense of diplomacy;
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high-quality work products;
- Willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
Duty Station: East Kutai district, East Kalimantan
Joining Date: April 1, 2021
Direct Supervisor: Responsible Project Manager.
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including trainings and list of references) to email@example.com by February 28th, 2021 with subject line SULAM – Advisor on Sustainable Agriculture.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified