The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government.
On behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), GIZ implements a Sport for Development sector programme, which aims at incorporating the use of sport as a tool to reach multiple development goals. The sector programme advises BMZ and implements capacity- and competency-building measures in various countries. In this context, German Development Cooperation (BMZ/GIZ) is implementing a Sport for Development project in Indonesia, partnering with the Indonesian Ministry of Education and Culture (MoEC, Kemdikbud).
Stakeholders from government, sports, academia, the private sector and civil society shall be engaged in using sport as a door opener and instrument to educate children/youth and to support national development goals in Indonesia. The overall objective of the multi-actor-partnership “Sport for Development – Olahraga untuk Pembangunan” is to establish sport as a tool to improve the quality of character-building (Penguatan Pendidikan Karakter), “life skills”- and health-promotion in the Indonesian education and sport structures. For this, the project trains teachers and other multipliers in the “sport for development” methods that can be applied to address a range of social and personal development topics for the target group of children and youth, and it also works to build knowledge in institutions on quality education through sport.
Sport trainings can not only teach children and young people to lead healthy lives but also to take on responsibility, behave fairly and address conflicts peacefully. These are key skills that will later help them gain a foothold in the working world. German development cooperation and its partners train instructors, coaches and teachers for this purpose. They are S4D multipliers and role models, and they help the children and young people to develop prospects for the future. They combine fun and play with the teaching of life skills and values. Sport is not just physical exercise; it is part of their education.
For further information on “Sport for Development” (S4D) in German Development Cooperation, please visit the S4D Online Resource Toolkit (https://www.sport-for-development.com), including a description of the project activities with Indonesian partners (https://www.sport-for-development.com/country-collection?id=160#cat160).
- Responsibilities, but is not limited to:
- maintaining a good flow of communication and information between all involved counterparts/partner institutions for the project and GIZ
- implementing daily operational aspects of all issues related to the S4D project
- supporting monitoring of project activities and ensuring the knowledge management and transfer in close exchange and consultancy with the strategic counterpart (MoEC / Kemdikbud)
- processing technical aspects of the project and further developing the area of responsibility in accordance with the specified quality standards
- Management and coordination
- helps identify the needs of government institutions, in particular the partner ministry for the project (MoEC / Kemdikbud), and provides strategic and technical advice to these partners according to these needs and in line with the principles of German development cooperation
- regularly consults with and supports the GIZ S4D Deputy Principal Advisor (AV) and the programme’s advisor responsible for the coordination of S4D activities in Indonesia – both based in Germany – regarding communication and planning with the Indonesian stakeholders
- supports the development of practical strategies and technical concepts (incl. frameworks and processes) related to the project’s objectives and ensures these strategies are also supported in the counterpart structures
- supports the development of and organises quality assurance measures (M&E) in line with the programme’s M&E framework (including developing and applying targeted M&E tools with the partners in Indonesia)
- handles coordination and synchronisation of activity planning with the regional GIZ Fit For School project, in particular related to advising MoEC
- prepares (in remote coordination with the S4D Deputy AV and advisor in Germany) and conducts activities required for implementing and managing the project locally in Indonesia, in particular:
- deals with the preparation, implementation and documentation of training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other project activities while ensuring close coordination with the liaison counterparts in the partner ministry and at the national implementing partner organisations
- helps synchronise the planning and budgeting (incl. follow-up mechanisms) and stakeholders’ contributions
- monitors expenses for project activities with partners in accordance with the prevailing provisions
- prepares necessary documents and first assessments/checks for order and contract management on behalf of GIZ related to the delivery of project activities (e.g. contract preparation, impact monitoring, reports and progress reviews)
- Communication and networking
- develops and maintains contact with key national and district level stakeholders, encourages sharing of ideas and information for the benefit of the project
- supports smooth and efficient communication and regular dialogue with counterparts in the ministry, further official institutions and academia
- ensures knowledge management: collects, processes, distributes and documents relevant information, monitors communication and interaction between government institutions, sports organisations, NGOs and society through analyses of the media, direct dialogue, participation in meetings and seminars etc.
- supports PR work and coordinates external project communication with the partner ministry and implementing partners in coordination with the project’s Communication focal point
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management
- University degree (equivalent to BA or MBA) in an area that is related to the project objectives (most relevant: education studies, sports science or physical education studies, social studies). A further academic studies specification (e.g. S2-Diploma or M.A./MSc) in a relevant field is desirable.
- At least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position;
- Experience working with and providing consultancy to public sector national and/or district level education institutions (e.g. government agencies, school authorities, teacher training institutions);
- Minimum 2 years practical experience in/with the education sector in Indonesia (e.g. adult education initiatives; teaching school children; training pre-service teachers);
- Research and/or practical experience applying qualitative and quantitative project monitoring and evaluation tools;
- Exposure to the national (and international) sports sector (e.g. federations, associations, committees, clubs and NGOs) is very desirable;
- Experience of working in the private sector or engaging private sector stakeholders via sport is desirable.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- good working knowledge of ITC technologies (office software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications, in particular MS Office suite (Teams, Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Outlook).
- very good knowledge of oral and written English
- strong communication skills, including good presentation skills and writing formal correspondence to official institutions
- openness and strong motivation to contribute to a multicultural work team across continents (e.g. regular participation in video conferences, working independently with remote coordination)
- strong management and organizational competence
- good analytical and facilitation skills
- strong sense of diplomacy, i.e. politically and culturally sensitive
- sensitivity for gender equality issues
- willingness to travel within Indonesia
- pro-active mindset, resourcefulness and flexibility
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
Duty Station: Jakarta
Expected Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor (AV)
Project Duration: until 31 December 2021
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. The closing date to submit the application letter is on October 31, 2020.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: S4D – Advisor.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified