The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Government.
In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various climate and biodiversity projects under the cluster of the Resilient Nature. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the International Climate Initiative (IKI), represented by the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV).
As part of the cluster of the Resilient Nature, GIZ will implement IKI project, Land-and Seascape Solutions for Indonesia (LASSO/SOLUSI). The project aims at developing and deploying an ecosystem approach for land and seascapes in at least three regions in Indonesia. As such, its focus lies on biodiversity conservation and ecological restoration, including efforts to strengthen the sustained provision of eco-system services, strengthen blue and green economies as pathways to sustainable development, including agroforestry, aquaculture, and the promotion of ecotourism. LASSO promotes enhanced climate-resilient livelihoods through public-private-people partnership (PPPCP), policies and investments and facilitates learning among partner provinces and scaling-up to others using an inter-provincial knowledge sharing platform. This project is a partnership between the Government of Germany (BMUV) and the Government of Indonesia (BAPPENAS) and will be implemented by a consortium consist of GIZ, ICRAF, SNV and Yayasan KEHATI Indonesia.
To support the German-Indonesian cooperation on climate and biodiversity (via the Resilient Nature Cluster) and the implementation of LASSO/SOLUSI project particularly on the Gender Equality and Social Inclusion (GESI), GIZ seeks one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for this position. Job title in SAP: Gender Equality Advisor.
The GESI Specialist will be responsible to assess and identify key GESI issues, prepare annual GESI plan within the project as well the cluster, provide strategic support in GESI and provide support on mainstreaming GESI issues in project development. S/he will ensure the LASSO project as well as the Nature and Resilience Cluster to deliver on a viable plan to achieve the objectives of gender and social inclusion integration from mainstreaming to transformative approach in its project activities and cluster program and strategy.
Responsibility at the project level (50%):
- Mainstreaming GESI into the project
- Support the overall areas of GESI in the LASSO project that adds value and impact
- Social Mapping of LASSO pilot areas and provide technical inputs in the design of interventions accordingly.
- Provide substantive assistance to develop or update required gender equality and social inclusion strategy at project level.
- Propose GESI related trends and new initiatives for the project in close coordination with the AV, Monitoring team and the consortium partners
- Identify knowledge gaps at different levels and undertake actions to reduce the gap information on GESI
- Conduct gender and social inclusion analysis and support incorporating the analysis into program planning, budgeting, M&E and reporting tools and processes.
- Provide appropriate recommendations to mainstream GESI within the project
- Provide GESI relevant inputs in formulation and/or revision of policies and plans at national and pilot areas,
- Devise GESI friendly approaches to integrate in institutional capacity development processes
2. Development & Implementation of GESI Strategy & Plan
- Facilitate and contribute to the development of GESI activities contributing to the project.
- Support all team and consortium partners to incorporate GESI priorities in their planning and GESI responsive budgeting in alignment to the Strategic Plan
- Support the preparation and implementation of GESI interventions in close coordination with project teams and the consortium partners
- Create & update practical tools and checklists to track and monitor GESI related database to increase reach of activities in the project designs in coordination with the M&E team
- Identify opportunities for innovation and policymaking/adjustments drawing on data and information from evaluations carried out, lessons learnt, best practices or from research from within the project
- Proactively initiate appropriate revision of project GESI Strategy and Action Plan
- Aligning with government legal framework and development trend
3. Knowledge Management
- Serve as a focal point for the gender and social inclusion related enquiries (external and internal)
- Explore, identify, and gather organization knowledge and learning to look at new areas of opportunities, analyze and share with relevant partners
- Document the learnings and facilitate learning sessions at regular intervals for the organizational effectiveness
- Document and publish the learning (Stories of change and lessons learned) in coordination with project team and consortium partners
4. Capacity Building:
- Support to facilitate and undertake the capacity development of project partners, local bodies, and different stakeholders (Grantees, Community People, Local Government line agencies, CSO etc.) for integrating gender and social inclusion in land-and-seascape management.
- Orient project staff and consortium partners to achieve GESI inclusiveness in partners and beneficiaries while designing the program/project
- Build the capacity of relevant staff and provide constructive feedbacks to grasp quality GESI related interventions through skills and sharing
- Provide orientation to project staff and consortium partners on the relevant learning toolkits and ensure its application in their respective fields (e.g. learning history, story of change, process documentation)
- Build capacity of the project staff and consortium partners in Human Rights Based Approach, free prior information consent and GESI mainstreaming.
5. Monitoring & Evaluation
- Carry out monitoring, evaluation of program activities from gender and social inclusion perspective including impact measurement.
- Design and support to implement GESI focus monitoring and evaluation and database system
- Support documentation of GESI related outputs, outcomes and lessons through regular monitoring, assessments, and studies.
- Support M&E, communication, and knowledge management team in capturing success stories, results and learning as well as in finalizing publications.
- Contribute to preparation of GESI friendly reports (KPI, annual reports, donor reports)
Responsibility at the cluster level (50%):
- Act as Gender Focal Points (GFP) in Cluster Resilient Nature
- Support the implementation of the GIZ Gender Strategy and GIZ Indonesia/ASEAN Gender Action Plan
- Assist projects in the cluster with preparation of project gender strategies and action plans with concrete gender actions.
- Maintain an overview of the gender-sensitive/gender-responsive/gender-transformative measures in the thematic cluster.
- Maintain regular update of Gender Analysis for the thematic sector.
- Identify capacity development needs and implements capacity development measures in coordination with Country Gender Focal Point and other Cluster Gender Focal Points
- Facilitate regular thematic exchange among Gender Focal Points / staff tasked with Gender mainstreaming in the project/” topic area”-scope.
- Participate and proactively contributes to relevant gender thematic meetings/events in GIZ Indonesia ASEAN as well as in such events within GIZ setting.
- Contribute regular updates to gender-related publications.
- Coordinates inquiries related to gender mainstreaming in the respective thematic sector.
- Advise Project Managers (AVs), AV-Vs and “Topic Leads” together with the Project GFP in the integration of Gender and Inclusion in preparation, as well as during the project cycle in the spirit of the commissioner’s policy requirements (BMZ Feminist Development Policy, Feminist Foreign and Development Policy, IKI Gender Strategy, etc)
- Advise AV-Vs (together with the Project GFP) in project preparation phase on Gender throughout project brief formulation, ZUK (approval of the draft strategy), S+G (Safeguard and Gender) analysis process, Appraisal Missions, Gender Analysis, ZAK (approval of the offer design) in coordination with the Country Gender Focal Point
- Other duties/additional tasks: performs other duties and tasks at the request of the superior
Qualifications: University’ degree in Gender and Development Studies, social science, sociology or relevant environment field with thorough knowledge of Gender and Social Inclusiveness.
Professional experience: The candidate must have a minimum of 5 (five) years of relevant work experience. The candidate should have sound knowledge of current political situation and inequity issues at policy and program levels along with development issues and current affairs across and globally. S/he should have prior experience in conducting gender and social inclusion analysis, development of strategies for gender mainstreaming and transformative initiatives, monitoring & evaluation. Prior experience working in project monitoring and evaluation of gender and social inclusion interventions is desirable.
Skills and Abilities: The position requires demonstrable skills in facilitation, data analysis and monitoring, critical thinking, including good organizational and interpersonal skills. The position requires field travel, attention to detail and the ability to keep accurate records to maintain the integrity of information.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (e.g., MS Office)
- excellent written and oral communication in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- experience in international cooperation and/or cooperation with German organizations
- willingness to up-skill as required by the tasks to be performed –corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- strong organizational competence with good communication and coordination skills
- ability to work in an intercultural environment.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor of Land and Seascape Solution for Indonesia (LASSO)
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter, comprehensive resume and copy of latest educational certificate (including training and list of references) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by December 3rd, 2023, with subject line Advisor on GESI.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.