The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis.
The project ‘Domestic Resource Mobilization for Sustainable Development’ (DRM) has been commissioned by the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) with a value of up to 6.000.000 EUR and an implementation period until January 2023.
The Objective of the project is as follows: “The conditions for financing the national implementation of the Agenda 2030 are improved in the area of fiscal policy and tax administration”.
The Project applies a multi stakeholder and multi-level approach, based on the Indonesian priorities for domestic revenue mobilization and the structures set up for this purpose. The main implementing partners are Fiscal Policy Agency (Badan Kebijakan Fiskal, BKF) and Directorate General of Taxes, DG Taxes (Direktorat Jenderal Pajak, DJP).
Four Intervention Areas of the project have been jointly identified, as follow:
- Further strengthening the capacities of BKF to improve fiscal policy formulation and carry out impact analysis of governement revenue policy in line with the Agenda 2030, through evaluating Income Tax and VAT, conducting tax gap analysis and exploring new revenue sources.
- Strengthening the capacities of BKF to evaluate and develop more comprehensive and better targeting subsidy policies, as well as fiscal incentive programs for energy efficiency and low carbon economy.
- Improving the validity and accuracy of the taxpayer database as prerequisite for a new IT system by conducting a problem analysis with regards to the taxpayer database, developing criteria and processes for cleansing the database, and developing an IT-based solution to migrate the existing database solution to migrate the existing database into a new database for the purposes of the future Core Tax System.
- Strengthening DG Tax organization to enhance tax compliance and supporting the improvement in the efficiency and the risk-based selection of tax audits.
The main responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conceptual and operational management of the German contribution to the Intervention Area #3 (Database Management) as part of the implementation the DRM-project, and thus assuring accountability for the achievement of its objective, related KPI, Output and Indicators, as well as for the commissioned resources (Key GIZ-reference frameworks: Processes und Rules, Quality in Line and Capacity WORKS)
- Coordination of all advisory services to the involved Indonesian partner institutions in the Intervention Area #3, Database Management
- Provision of professional advisory services to the DG Taxes of the Ministry of Finance regarding tax policy reform, towards the expected Outputs C of the Project
- Overall coordination of the implementation of activities with other Outputs
- Ensuring coordination as well as commercial and content quality control of all sub-contracted services and provide grants to third parties, under his/her responsibility
- Application of relevant company policies, rules and regulation during the implementation of the project
- Support the Principal Advisor in liaising with other development partners, international donors, and institutions, as required by Principal Advisor
- Assist the Principal Advisor on overarching issues related to the implementation of DRM
The job holder performs the following tasks:
- Management responsibility
- plans and budgets all activites in the Implementation Area #3 (Tax Database Management) towards achieving the project’s objective, outputs and indicators in form of a Plan of Operations and ensures its implementation in close cooperation with the respective counterparts
- provides a strategic approach to Capacity Development of the involved partner institutions related to the Implementation Area #3, while minimizing the creation of parallel project structures,
- in close cooperation with the involved partner institutions defines Terms of Reference of contracted third parties and for grant provision in in carrying out project/program’s activities, develop quality assurance as well as performance evaluation, and propose changes and improvements, when necessary.
- coordinates and supervises the contracted institutions, individual consultants, and any other service providers in the Implementation Area #3, in pursuance of stipulated deliverables and deadlines
- in close cooperation with the counterparts conceptualizes, prepares and manages the GIZ-contributions to workshops, seminars, conferences, study trips and other events on subjects that are related to the Implementation Area #3 key objective and outputs
- based on a comprehensive results-based monitoring system, prepares reports and documents concerning the progress of collaborative activities, determines bottlenecks and identifies alternative courses of management action, in close coordination with counterparts and Principal Advisor
- monitors the commissioned project budget in relation to Intervention Area #3, in consultation with the Financial Advisor and the Principal Advisor
- Professional advisory services
- provides comprehensive advisory services, conceptual inputs and strategic options to the DG Taxes to achieve the DRM’s objectives and the outputs A and other indicators, related to the Implementation Area #3
- develops policy recommendations and strategic approaches in relation to the project objective, outputs and indicators, related to the Implementation Area #3, and supports the partner institutions to identify the need for external support and advice
- oversee the services provided in the framework of the DRM-project and verifies that they are aligned with the partner’s needs and requirements, without substituting the responsible Indonesian institutions
- monitors the development and implementation of the Plan of Operations related to the Implementation Area #3 together with the main counterparts
- ensures that contracted third parties, both institutions and individual consultants under the Implementation Area #3 are providing appropriate deliverables in relation to the respective Terms of References
- facilitates knowledge exchange on relevant processes supported by the DRM-project within GIZ, as well as between Indonesian institutions, international development agencies and academia
- supports the development of models for a peer-to-peer learning approach among stakeholders.
- Networking and cooperation
- ensures cooperation, regular contacts and dialogue with partners that related to the Implementation Area #3; carries out PR work and cooperates with relevant organisations and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to maintain and improve working relationships
- assesses interests of different stakeholders and assures a close cooperation within the Ministry of Finance in all activities related to the Implementation Area #3 and relations with other relevant stakeholders like line ministries, local governments, international development partners etc.
- supports networking between related different units in the Directorate General (DG) Taxes.
- ensures exchange of experiences, coordination and cooperation with other projects supported by GIZ, especially those related with the work in the DG Taxes.
- Knowledge management
- supports the further development concepts and procedures for knowledge management within the related Units in DG Taxes
- guarantees the compilation of relevant information and results related to activities in the area of database management
- provides relevant reports and presentation of results according to the requirements of GIZ and BMZ
- contributes to disseminating the results of the work within GIZ, the German Development Cooperation and relevant national and international fora
- Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the Principal Advisor of DRM project.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- university degree relevant to Information Technology, IS, database management, or related subject
- minimum 10 years of professional experience in a comparable position related to Database Management (IT, database analysis, data migration)
- knowledge of the Indonesian tax policy framework and institutional setup
- extensive and high-level advisory experience in the areas of database management
- understanding of key policy issues related to tax policy and the 2030 Agenda, both domestic and international
Other knowledge, additional competences
- excellent analytical, interpersonal, communications and report writing skills
- advanced English language skills
- proficiency in user-related ITC-technologies
- demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a team
- adaptable to changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products
- proven inter-cultural skills
- Willingness to acquire new knowledge as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with the Principal Advisor
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on February 19th, 2020
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: DRM – Advisor Tax DM
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.