The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations. Its corporate objective is to improve people’s living conditions on a sustainable basis. GIZ has been working in Indonesia since 1975 on behalf of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).
In Indonesia, GIZ is implementing various energy projects under the umbrella of the Energy Program Indonesia/ASEAN. These projects are commissioned by mainly the German government, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the International Climate Initiative, represented by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Action (BMWK).
The Energy Programme works across various thematic pillars and areas. Policy Advisory and technical assistance tasks to increase the uptake of renewables targeted at the political partners, ESDM as well as Bappenas, are synergized across various projects.
As part of the Programme’s pool of projects working with EBTKE, GIZ is currently implementing a project, funded by the International Climate Initiative (ICI) of the German Federal Government, called “Strategic Exploration of Economic Mitigation Potentials through Renewables“(ExploRE). The project aims to enhance strategic options on the renewable energies (RE) in the energy, climate, development and financial sectors and to help create a more coherent environment between key players.
The project organizes the activities in Indonesia under four outputs. Those are:
- RE deployment strategy:
- Political instruments and financial environment
- Institutional building
- Innovation To support implementation of the project, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for the following position.
To support the Programme’s policy work targeted ab EBTKE and other government partners, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for this position. (Job title in SAP: Energy Advisor)
The main responsibilities should include, but not limited, to the following areas:
- Act as focal point for the conceptualization and implementation of activities related to renewable energy (RE) strategy, RE policy, and RE finance to support the RE deployment in Indonesia, including with the content-related supervision of consultants and quality assurance of results from the relevant activities.
- Act as a part of Policy and Finance Advisory Team within GIZ Energy Programme as well as other relevant cross-project Team within the Programme, to support and ensure a collaborative effort within the GIZ Energy Programme as well as to provide joint strategy and solutions to the counterparts.
- Providing professional advisory services to Project’s counterparts and formulating knowledge products related with the development of RE deployment strategies as well as RE policy and/or finance, that in-line with the Project’s mandate and Indonesia’s energy and climate target.
- Proactively seek opportunities for collaboration with relevant national and international stakeholders within various sectors, to foster better RE Implementation, better RE financing deployment for RE projects, and better RE regulatory framework environment in Indonesia.
- Act as the ExploRE Project’s and Energy Programme’s representative in facilitating, coordinating, and communicating the progress and results of activities with counterparts.
- Develop and nurture relationships with key players in the Indonesian RE sector, including government, financial institutions, private sector, associations, and other development partners.
- Responsible for reporting and documentation of ExploRE Project’s results.
In this context, the position holder fulfils the following tasks:
- Professional Advisory Services
- As part of the Energy Programme’s Policy Advisory Team, monitor the development of national and international energy policies and initiatives, climate policies and initiatives, potential innovative RE concepts, business schemes, financing schemes, and any relevant information.
- Provide professional advisory in identifying, conceptualizing, and implementing the upscaling potential from lessons learned of technical assistances implementation for RE projects into the macro level RE deployment strategies as well as the supportive regulatory framework concepts.
- Provide professional advisory in identification of innovative RE business schemes and supporting mechanisms that are suitable to be implemented Indonesia, along with the formulation of deployment strategies and policies recommendation.
- Provide professional advisory in identifying problem and/or gap in RE financing and policy within Indonesia contexts and international to some extent, conceptualizing innovative solutions to the identified problem/gap, and reviewing the existing or new policy/regulation/financing scheme related to RE.
- Provide technical assistance for the development of market-based mechanism to support RE deployment in Indonesia (e.g., green gas certificate, carbon offset mechanism, financial de-risking facility, RE financing instruments, etc.) including with support for the setting-up of standards / certificates, formulation of strategic papers, deployment strategies, and policy recommendations.
- Provide technical assistance for the development of strategic plan and documents as well as in the implementation of related regulatory frameworks from local government and various Ministries, including Ministry of Energy and Mineral Resources (MEMR), Ministry of National Development Planning (BAPPENAS), Ministry of Finance (MOF), and so on.
- Be an active member of the Policy Team of the Energy Programme, to streamline advisory work towards EBTKE and other political partners, realize synergies, and work as team to deliver high quality policy advisory results.
- Project Management
- Identify knowledge gap in RE financing and policy in Indonesia and develop concept for the implementation of technical assistances.
- Identify required resources and develop technical Terms of References (ToR) for external consultants as well as coordinate and supervise the external consultants and other service providers in pursuance of stipulated deliverables and deadlines according to the ToR.
- Monitor project progress, determine bottlenecks, and recommend alternative courses of management action to Lead Advisor.
- Content-related supervision of consultants in the provision of Project’s advisories and assistances, as well as the quality assurance of the results from the Project’s activities.
- Monitor, evaluate and ensure the alignment of results from the Project’s activities with the achievement of Project’s indicators and safeguards.
- Contribute to project development, result-based monitoring, and RE strategy development, in cooperation with other advisors within the Project and Programme.
- Coordination, Cooperation, and Networking
- Maintain effective communication and cooperation with political partners, specifically Directorate of Bioenergy and Various New and Renewable Energy, MEMR.
- Link relevant international energy and climate initiatives with the national programs and targets from Indonesian government.
- Mapping and assessing focuses and activities from other development partners and actively maintain, develop close contacts, as well as seeking synergies and cooperation with other development partners.
- Maintain and develop close contacts with other implementing partners such as other ministries, state-owned companies, private sector, and financial institutions.
- Initiate contacts, develop cooperation, and foster dialogues with international and national RE stakeholders, such as associations, technology providers, project developers, industries.
- Identify and secure cooperation with potential local and international consultants to support the delivery of the Project’s outputs.
- Knowledge Management
- Stay abreast with the updates on national and international RE policies, initiatives, technologies, applications, and innovative financing, as well as stay updated and informed about activities from Energy Programme and other projects within GIZ.
- In close consultation with Knowledge and Information Management team, document files, reports, photos, infographics and any other knowledge products from project activities for the development of Project’s knowledge products, including policy brief, policy factsheet, policy recommendation, summary on deployment strategies, and guidelines.
- Develop lessons learned and best practices from assigned project activities.
- Prepare and deliver presentation on the results of technical assistances to disseminate lessons learned and best practices to relevant stakeholders.
- Support programmatic knowledge management activities and production, and support sharing and learning within the Energy Programme, across projects.
- Other duties / additional tasks
- Subject to discussions with the Lead Advisor, the Advisor may be allocated for additional tasks and other duties for shorter periods.
- Assist the Energy Programme Director and Country Director on overarching issues related to the implementation of GIZ corporate strategy (eq. Vision 2028).
- At least a bachelor’s degree in engineering, economics, energy/public policy planning, or any field related to the project objectives.
- A master’s degree is highly preferred, especially in a relevant discipline.
- Minimum 5 (five) years of relevant professional experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in formulating roadmap, implementation strategies recommendation, policy study, policy brief, policy report, innovative RE financing schemes, and/or other related documents with the topics of RE deployment strategy, policy and/or finance.
- Demonstrated a good knowledge in Indonesian RE market development.
- Preferred experience in managing energy projects.
- An added advantage would be prior experience collaborating with international teams.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good analytical skills as well as excellent organizational skills; efficiency, accuracy, and high-quality delivery of all work-related output; results and performance orientation; as well as a team-oriented person.
- Good communication and coordination skills, intercultural competences, and confident dealing with high-ranking representatives of the national and local partners.
- Very good knowledge of IT, communication technologies, and relevant computer applications (e.g., MS Office).
- Excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English.
- Availability to follow the code of conduct of the organization.
In case of suitability to different job openings currently published under the Energy Programme, applicants are encouraged to apply to different job openings if of interest (multiple applications).
GIZ reserves the right to offer this position on Junior level, should a candidate not fully match the requirements for the listed qualification and professional expertise.
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: March 1st, 2024
Direct Supervisor: Team Lead of ExploRE’s Project
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter, comprehensive resume and copy of educational certificate (including training and list of references) as attachments to email@example.com by February 13th, 2024, with subject line ExploRE_Advisor on RE Deployment SPF.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.