As a part of Indonesia – German Cooperation in reducing emission from forestry sector as well as improving livelihood of rural communities a project name Peatland Management and Rehabilitation has been implemented. The project aims to develop the planning and implementation capacities to rehabilitate peat ecosystem and mangrove forest in Kayan Sembakung Delta. The module combines policy and capacity development measures. Activities are implemented at the macro-meso and micro levels (pilot measures are used here as well). Policy advice is one area in which close cooperation at National level with the Environment and Forestry Ministry is pursued.
The project expected to deliver the several basic outputs as follows:
- Integrated planning processes for the protection and sustainable management of peat ecosystems and mangrove in Kayan Sembakung Delta Area.
- Improved peat and wetlands ecosystems land use system/practices.
Results from applied research and documented field experiences will be distributed at local, national and international levels
The position is aimed to support the project in implementing and achieving its objective with the detail as follows:
- Support the project in the design and implementation of project activities/technical assistance in North Kalimantan according to the GIZ standards and in close partnership with the Ministry of Environment and Forestry as well as the authorities in North Kalimantan.
- Support the project in achieving the project goals and activities agreed with the partners, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior.
- To carry out project activities in Integrative land use planning for peatland and mangrove protection in a timely high-quality manner
- To support Principal Advisor in ensuring the contribution of the GIZ in the wetland management (peatland and mangrove management, including the topic of blue carbon) by providing professional advice to partners and maintaining its communication.
- Developing, operationalizing and implementing the strategy to support development of a strategic operation plan and corresponding annual work plans in close cooperation with the partner.
The incumbent performs the following tasks:
- Professional advisory services
- Providing advisory in the inventory and mapping process of peat/wetland area in accordance with national standard
- Developing strategic spatial plan for Delta Kayan Sembakung revitalization
- Support the Mapping of land ownership situations in Kayan Sembakung Delta in case mapping has not been done by “One-Map” sponsoring initiative
- Support the integration of peatland/wetland to local spatial land use planning (RTRWP-RTRWK)
- Support the development of KHG mapping (topography, ecosystems, land-use, emission reduction potential, scale 1:50.000), the Peat Ecosystem Management Plan (RPPEG), and Long-term Forest Management Plan (RPHJP) and the District Land-use Plan and Provincial Land-use Plan (RTRAWK/P) in Kayan Sembakung Delta.
- Coordinate and consult the strategic landuse planning activities to relevant actors and authority at national, provincial and district level.
- Contributing to current climate change and green development related initiative in North Kalimantan including to support integration of land use planning to the RAD-GRK and Climate change reporting (REDD+)
- Providing technical inputs on the development of forestry planning documents at PROPEAT focus areas
- Supporting capacity building activities at Province and national level includes capacity building within PROPEAT team
- Plan, coordinate, supervise and Assist national and international advisors as well as consultants in carrying out their work related to the project activities
- Plan, coordinate, supervise and assist the implementation of relevant action research and publication related to the project activities in integrative landuse planning.
- Assisting the projects with organizational and management issues
- Participating in formulating project plan of operation and helps to synchronize it with the counterpart ‘s plan
- Jointly responsible with the partner institution for preparing and documenting training events, workshops, forums, team meetings and other project activities
- Knowledge Management
- Compiles/organize data and information, methods and knowledge documentation related to the project and other activities and ensures knowledge transfer amongst team members as well as partners;
- Support Principal Advisor to develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures;
- draws up reports and presentation documents;
- support AV in formulates appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the Country Director and Lead Advisor and GIZ Head Quarter;
- Assists with research activities and studies related to integrative landuse planning
- Ensure the quality of consultants’ report which related to the above tasks;
- Coordinate the results and lessons learned documentation
- Networking and cooperation
- Support the cooperation with and maintain regular contacts with the government partner, local communities, relevant local and international organisations, non-governmental bodies and persons within the programme’s environment as well as with other projects in order to enhance and maintain good working relationships and smooth implementation of Programme activities
- Support to the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars, and other events on subjects that are related to the programme’s field of activities
- Participate in and/or provide professional inputs to workshops, seminars and other events that are related to the Programme’s field of activities
- Organise and prepare field trips of associated experts and other project visitors and conduct field visits to relevant provinces and districts in accordance with the requirements of the programme, in close consultation with the principal advisors.
- Initiate and coordinate necessary cooperation in close consultation with the Principal Advisor
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of the superior
- Contributes actively to a good working climate and team working within the project
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in forestry, environmental management, cartography, GIS or other degree relevant to climate change mitigation program;
- Five to 10 years professional experience on institutional capacity development and policy advisory work on local government level
- Strong expertise on geographic information system, remote sensing and knowledge in GIS software (including the opensource GIS software) particularly in relation to land based sector.
- Knowledge and expertise in climate change emission including carbon/emission measurement and reporting
- Having knowledge on monitoring and evaluation system
- Understand the basic concept of sustainable development in relation to climate change
- At least three years’ professional experience in a comparable position
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Good working knowledge of lTC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Strong managerial and organizational competence
- Willingness to travel to districts regularly
- Good written and oral knowledge of the English language widely used in the country.
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed -corresponding measures are agreed with management
Duty Station: Tanjung Selor, North Kalimantan
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on 02nd October, 2020.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: PROPEAT – ILP.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.