The German Government (represented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit GIZ GmbH) has been supporting the Indonesian Government (represented by the Corruption Eradication Commission/CEC) in corruption prevention since 2007. The current phase of the cooperation: Assistance in Preventing and Combating Corruption (APCC) is running from 2019-2021 with the main goal to improve the corruption prevention of the Indonesian government in the national and sub national level, incl. in the forestry sector. One of the expected outputs of this cooperation is to improve the capacity of local government in implementing its corruption prevention program. APCC is funded by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ with the CEC as the Project Executing Agency.
As CEC has its subnational approach (through Korsupgah/Korwil) since 2016, the APCC focuses its support on East Kalimantan, Papua and West Papua Provinces. There are 8 menus of CEC’s assistance to the local government in preventing corruption in the sub national governments: promotion of e-planning/budgeting, e-procurement, e-licensing, merit human resource management, increasing local revenue, strengthening Internal Audit, better public asset management and village fund management as well as thematic issue of each region.
Papua and West Papua have significant big forest area and other natural resources, CEC also has special attention on ensuring good governance in the forest and other natural resources in these provinces. In addition to that, Papua and West Papua Provinces are still having challenges in implementing their corruption prevention program due to many aspects (infrastructure, technology, human resources, etc.). Thus, the APCC will support the local governments in Papua Province (incl. Merauke and Jayapura Districts) as well as in West Papua Province (incl. Tambrauw and Sorong Selatan) to improve their corruption prevention program. The result of the technical assistance will be shown in the improvement of Monitoring Centre for Prevention’s score of each local government (https://jaga.id/jendela-daerah/program).
The Advisor on Good Local Governance will fulfil a key role in the project team and will contribute to the overall objectives of the APCC. The incumbent will be accountable to APCC for the overall coordination of the project activities at the provincial and district levels on the issue of good local governance; for the quality, timeliness and effectiveness of the services provided and the activities carried out. The incumbent will directly work with the project teams and support to project planning, implementation and monitoring on good governance in the forestry sector at the provincial and district levels. She/He will be the focal point for communication to the participating partners, national organizations, and others concerning the implementation of the project at the sub-national level.
These responsibilities include:
- In close coordination with APCC Advisors, manage activities to the achievement of project objectives.
- Advice and support the subnational project partners (provinces and districts) in (1) strategic planning processes and designing approaches in preventing corruption (at least in 8 menus of CEC’s subnational corruption prevention program: planning/budgeting, public procurement, licensing, internal control, human resource management, local asset management, optimization of local revenue, village fund and public participation); (2) implementation of sub national corruption prevention program (3) technical advice and guidance to the provincial and local governments on governance issues including the relevant regulatory frameworks (4) facilitation on training and other capacity development measures to the targeted local government and other strategic stakeholders related to corruption prevention program;
- Advice and support the national project partners in coordination, collaboration, supervision, monitoring relevant programs in Papua region
- Supervise the implementation of the APCC cooperation with local institutions, consultants, interns, and NGOs in Papua region.
- Reporting and documentation of project results as well as review other documents concerning the progress of local governments’ corruption prevention program
- Management and coordination
- Support the management and administration of APCC activities in Papua region in adherence to GIZ policies and procedures.
- Ensure the APCC activities in Papua region are coordinated for effective implementation of the project.
- Represent the project particularly for the stakeholders at the provincial and district level to do policy advice on highest level.
- Coordinate, supervise and contribute to the preparation and implementation of project activities in line with strategic and annual working plan.
- Coordinate joint activities and other technical cooperation related APCC and other relevant partner institutions in the region.
- Coordinate with CEC on challenges faced by local governments in implementing the action plan on preventing corruption and provide recommendations
- Coordinate activities supported and implemented by international and national consultants work at the subnational levels.
- Support the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer in coordinating and conducting evaluation the results of activities and give input/feedback for better implementation at the provincial, district, and community levels.
- Contribute to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports to supports M&E of APCC activities.
- Support APCC Advisors in preparing the budget and activity plan and in monitoring the implementation of events and consultants or grantees at subnational level.
- Professional Advisory Services
- Advise partner institutions on order identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and provide technical input related to the good local governance
- Provide on-going support and interact with relevant counterparts in public discussions, joint initiatives, advocacy for policy and legal drafting/revision of municipal/higher government level frameworks, etc
- Supervise and assist the multi stakeholder platform in carrying out its activities and follow up the recommendations
- Advise the assigned local government officers in implementing action plans on corruption prevention program
- Deal with the design (term of references), preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the overall objectives of the APCC activities, including performance evaluation.
- Conduct necessary desk and field research as well analysis related to corruption prevention program
- Develop and organizes quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives related to the good governance
- Participate in identifying needs for capacity development (including system/policy level, organizational and individual level) at the provincial level and in districts in line with project objectives.
- Providing support and technical assistance for the capacity building on transparency and accountability in budget planning and monitoring of budget lines and expenditures at the province and district level
- Develops networks with local governments, local NGOs, villages and other stakeholders in the local governance, forestry and other relevant natural resource management sectors.
- Providing support and technical assistance for updating of APCC strategic action plans, operational plans and annual work plans according to work progress, requirements of the CEC as well as sub national government authorities (keeping in mind the special autonomy of Papua region)
- Contribute to continuous synchronization of APCC strategic areas (capacity development, collaborative action and digitalization on corruption prevention)
- Facilitate the communication of APCC and its national partner institutions with the local governments on corruption prevention program
- Advise National and international consultants in getting clear picture of current political situations
- Assist in project activities at the sub national level related to gender mainstreaming considerations.
- Assist the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer and APCC advisors in planning and coordinating project monitoring and evaluation.
- Other duties/additional tasks
- Performs other duties and tasks at the request of management.
- Undertakes frequent visits to the field activities in project sites to ensure APCC partner activities are proceeding as planned (in accordance with GIZ requirements).
- Supports the provision of logistics for APCC staff and visitors.
- Accompanies and guides visitors in connection with field trips.
- Stay abreast of developments in global and Indonesian approaches for anticorruption issues, and special autonomy of Papua regions.
- Networking and Cooperation
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners; and cooperates with local communities, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project/programme environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships.
- Establish network of contacts (NGO, Academia, civil society) in the Papua region and maintain communication and inform them on working progress of APCC activities.
- Communicates and channel local interests and efforts from Papua Region, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of APCC.
- Coordinates and supports activities of other GIZ projects especially FORCLIME.
- Liaises with staff and implementers of other donors’ activities in Papua Region and identifies cooperation areas.
- Supports project leader in smooth partner relations.
- Knowledge management
- Compiles relevant information on the topic of good governance and ensures knowledge transfer including lessons learned documentation
- Develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- Monitors and coaches the implementation of the M and E System on local level.
- Draws up reports and presentation documents
- Assists with research activities and studies on local government and anticorruption which benefit joint programmes.
- Facilitate exchange and identify potential cooperation with other project site in East Kalimantan, other GIZ projects in Papua (FORCLIME) and government partners on the utilization of data and information of project-related activities.
- Prepare documentation materials such as photos and video footages for project-related activities.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in public administration or other relevant academic fields.
- Experience in organizational development
- Women are encouraged to apply for this position.
- Person with a residence in Tanah Papua are preferred candidates
- At least 5 years’ professional experience on work related to public administration (incl. the updated local government information system policy)
- Existing working relations with Tanah Papua.
- Previous work experience with development projects will be an advantage
- A minimum of 3 (three) years professional experiences in project management.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Strong managerial and organisational competence;
- Willingness to travel extensively;
- Good Knowledge of English and Bahasa Indonesia;
- Willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management;
- Good facilitation skills and communication skills;
- Able to work independently and with limited resources or support.
Duty Station: Tanah Papua (Possible location: Jayapura/Manokwari/South Sorong/Tambrauw/Merauke)
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Principal Advisor
How to Apply
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on April 15th, 2021
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: APCC – GLG
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa _CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.