The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
GIZ leads the consortia of six organisations to implement the global project “Innovation Regions for a Just Energy Transition (IKI-JET)”, funded by the International Climate Initiative of the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Climate Actions (BMWK). The project contributes to a just transition of the energy sector in selected developing countries and emerging economies, including Indonesia, for which GIZ partners with the Indonesian Ministry for National Development Planning (BAPPENAS). The project’s Indonesian component supports the local governments and other stakeholders in two coal-dependent regions (i.e., East Kalimantan and South Sumatra) to transition towards more sustainable economies fairly by achieving the following results:
- Output-4: Informed social dialogue and stakeholder engagement on just energy transition in coal regions takes place in Regional Consultation Forums;
- Output-5: Policy advice to improve the policy framework for just energy transition, including gender aspects, is fed into respective policy processes;
- Output-6: Transformational measures to support the JET on coal regions are rolled out.
To implement activities required for achieving Output-5, GIZ seeks a qualified Indonesian candidate for this position.
- In close coordination with International Labour Organization (ILO) and, to a lesser extent, other implementing partners (International Trade Union Confederation, Climate Action Network, and Wuppertal Institute):
- Facilitating the development of new business opportunities to substitute the roles of coal in the local economy of East Kalimantan and South Sumatra by developing concepts, supporting investment promotion, and facilitating skill improvements.
- Lead the implementation of activities under Work Package 6.1 (New, green economic activities – piloting transformational measures)
- Support ILO in implementing Work Package 6.2 (Skill development measures), including the direct responsibility for the activity to provide green business training or coaching.
- Engage with WI in assessing economic diversification, social transformational potentials, and energy transition options for the two target regions (activities IV.5.4 and IV.5.5).
- Communicate with renewable energy companies, non-energy entrepreneurs and financial institutions to promote green investments according to the new business development concepts for facilitating local economy transformation in South Sumatra and East Kalimantan;
- Cooperate with other GIZ experts in the Energy Program of GIZ Indonesia in communicating with national government authorities to reduce regulatory obstacles in renewable energy developments in East Kalimantan and South Sumatera;
- Integrates results and experiences to improve synergy on overall activities between the project and thematically related projects implemented by GIZ in Indonesia;
- Assist the responsible project manager (DV) in project management tasks as assigned.
- Management and coordination
- Supports the coordination of project operational planning and budgeting;
- Contribute to the result-based monitoring system by collecting data and reporting against project indicators (progress reporting) as input for regular reporting to partners and the commissioning party;
- Supervise consultants, contractors, and interns for the project;
- Contributes to the writing of the project progress and monitoring reports, identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the project responsible manager;
- Provide advice related to risk planning and mitigation, implement risk response-related activities, and control the risks;
- Represents the project when needed.
- Professional Advisory Services:
- Advise partner institution(s) on order clarification, identifying needs, developing concepts and strategies, and providing technical input;
- Participates in determining requirements for external support and advice, works on policy recommendations and promotes a strategic approach;
- Contributes to preparing and implementing the coordination process and joint project/ program activities;
- Formulates terms of references and selects and supervises third parties in the course of carrying out project activities, including performance evaluation;
- Deals with the design, preparation, and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues related to the work package;
- Develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives;
- Assures the alignment of the project’s service provision with the partner’s needs.
3. Networking and Cooperation:
- Ensures cooperation, regular contact, and dialogue with the implementing partners and stakeholders to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- Travels in accordance with project requirements;
- Supports the responsible project manager in smooth partner relations;
- Communicates and channel local interest and aspirations and exchange ideas and information for the benefit of the project.
- Knowledge Management
- Support the management of the project repository database (reports, events, presentations, workshops, meetings, etc.) using GIZ tools/applications (DMS, OnSite, OneDrive, etc.) according to GIZ rules.
- Support and assist in providing data and information required by the project whenever possible and needed.
- Ensure all relevant reports, analyses, studies, research and other documentations are available to the project team and partners as needed.
- Master’s degree in business administration, environmental engineering, energy studies or other related academic fields;
- 3-6 years of professional experience in renewable energy developments or other green business developments;
- Have good knowledge of the latest developments in renewable energy technologies and business models, particularly but not limited to biogas, biomass, solar PV, or green hydrogen;
- Strong skills in assessing the feasibilities of new business development opportunities as a means for local economic transformation;
- Excellent capability to plan, implement, and monitor the effectiveness of various capacity development measures;
- Willing to travel to remote rural areas, link and cooperate with stakeholders from rural communities.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Experienced in project management
- Very good working knowledge of IT, communication technologies (related software, website)
- Very good communication skills in English and Bahasa Indonesia, including speaking and writing
- Focused, proactive and positive working attitude
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a fast-paced office environment, both independently and as part of a global team
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to encourage collaboration with other projects, international organizations and partners
- Awareness of social and intercultural sensitivities, flexible and possess a sense of diplomacy
- Adaptable to rapidly changing priorities and able to manage multiple deadlines and deliver high quality work products
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: 1 April 2023
Direct Supervisor: Responsible Project Manager, the Indonesian component of Innovation Regions for a Just Energy Transition (IKI-JET) project
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter, comprehensive resume and copy of educational certificate (including training and list of references) as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 30th, 2023, with subject line IKI JET Indonesia – Advisor for Regional Economic Transformation.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.