Advancing digital development is one stand-alone development policy objective that the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) is particularly committed to pursuing together with its international partners. On behalf of BMZ, the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is implementing the Global Programme Digital Transformation to develop innovative BMZ flagship projects on a global scale. Under the flagship “Local Innovation” digital ecosystems in partner countries are being supported.
“FAIR Forward – Open data for AI” is a new global initiative of German Development Cooperation that is implemented by GIZ. It strives for a more open, inclusive, and sustainable approach to artificial intelligence (AI) on the international level. Its principal objective is to build the foundations in selected partner countries to enable the development of local AI that contributes to the sustainable development goals (SDGs). The initiative is working together with seven partner countries: Indonesia, India, South Africa, Ghana, Kenya, Rwanda, and Uganda. To strengthen local AI and to foster international AI cooperation with Europe, the initiative pursues the following three goals:
Remove entry barriers to AI – access to training data and AI technologies for local innovation. FAIR Forward facilitates the provision of open, non-discriminatory, and inclusive training data and open-source AI applications.
Strengthen local technical know-how on AI – capacity development in Asia and Africa. FAIR Forward supports digital learning and training for the development and use of AI and fosters cooperation with German and European research institutions and businesses.
Develop policy frameworks – ethical AI, data protection and privacy. FAIR Forward advocates for value-based AI that is rooted in human rights, international norms such as accountability, transparency of decision-making and privacy, and draws on European experiences such as the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
In Indonesia, the focus areas of the initiative within the main goals are (1) Facilitating and steering a multi-stakeholder process to support the awareness, creation and promotion of open AI training datasets, as well as the piloting of AI-driven use-cases utilizing e.g. Natural Language Processing (NLP), and Machine Learning for Earth Observation (ML4EO) in the sectors of sustainable agriculture, forestry and climate change, (2) Furthering the development of practical guidelines on AI and data protection as well as data privacy issues based on input from various stakeholders. In Indonesia, FAIR Forward is cooperating closely with key initiatives of GIZ, such as the “Digital Transformation Centre”.
The Digital Transformation Center (DTC) Indonesia is part of this global initiative and supports Indonesia in its national digital transformation. The overall aim is to narrow the digital divide, reduce disparities and to give all population groups equal opportunities to benefit from the prospects of digitalization while enabling them to assess its risks independently. In particular, the Digital Transformation Centre Indonesia focusses on the two elements of (1) government advisory and (2) digital entrepreneurship & innovation ecosystems.
Overall, as global partners, Indonesia and Germany are determined to work together to deliver sustainable, climate-neutral and resilient development that benefits the planet as well as its people. The DTC Indonesia therefore is embedded into the wider Indonesian-German development cooperation and its priority areas of:
- Responsibility for the planet (climate and energy)
- Protecting life on earth (environment and natural resources)
- Training and decent jobs (sustainable growth)
To support implementation of DTC, we seek one (1) motivated and qualified Indonesian candidate for: Advisor for FAIR Forward – Open data for AI
The Advisor is the project’s AI focal point for the project implementation in Indonesia. In close collaboration with a global team of colleagues, she/he plans, coordinates, and implements measures to promote the inclusive, ethical, and sustainable development and use of AI. Through policy advisory and outreach work, the advisor plays an essential role in positioning the project in the Indonesian AI ecosystem and beyond.
The Advisor will perform the following tasks under disciplinary supervision of the Head of the Digital Transformation Centre and the technical supervision of Fair Forward.
- manages project activities on “Open data for AI” in Indonesia – this comprises country specific operational planning with activities across all three goals of the initiative, such as Machine Learning for Earth Observation (ML4EO, using remote sensing and GIS) and Natural Language Processing (NLP).
- supports the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars, and other events with stakeholders from the government, private sector, academia, civil society, and the start-up scene.
- advises local stakeholders on open AI as well as policy frameworks for ethical AI, including data protection and privacy.
- cooperates and manage partnerships with the programme related ecosystem including government, private sector (e.g., innovation labs and start-ups), local communities and civil society, particularly in open AI training data, use cases and AI-related policy.
- manages subcontractors, supervise events, consultancies and studies, and monitor & evaluate programme related measures on AI in Indonesia.
- coordinates with adjacent GIZ activities in Indonesia at the intersection of AI and sustainability, and act as an advisor.
- ensures knowledge transfer within the global implementing team of FAIR Forward and provide inputs for project reports.
- facilitates administrative and logistical procedures for activities in Indonesia in coordination with the GIZ country office.
- contributes to programme related communication, PR materials, requests from GIZ HQ and for the preparation of political and economic delegations.
- collaborates actively with the Digital Transformation Centre of GIZ in Indonesia.
- Master’s degree in computer / data science, geoinformatics / GIS and remote sensing, NLP, international relations, political science, studies related to sustainable human development with a focus on digital topics, or other fields in an area related to the project objectives.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable position, such as digital/AI-related position.
- At least 3 years of experience with implementing data-driven solutions in the areas of agriculture, sustainability, climate change adaptation or language technology will be preferred.
- Work experience in policy consultancy on digital development / digital transformation, experience working with start-ups and civil society actors.
- Work experience in project management, preferably in international cooperation.
- Professional / academic experience in artificial intelligence, data science, climate change or related fields such as data for development would be advantageous.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent communication skills and fluency in Bahasa Indonesia and English
- Ability and willingness to work in a dynamic team
- Good interpersonal skills and a willingness to cooperate effectively with colleagues and partners across projects
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- Advanced working knowledge of ICT technologies (related to software and online technologies for the work environment), Excel and other computer applications (e.g. MS Office, MS Teams);
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: ASAP
Direct Supervisor: Head of Digital Transformation Centre
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 09 February 2023 with subject line DTC – AFF
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified.