The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a German implementing organization which provides services worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ has years involvement in the area of climate policy in Indonesia.
GIZ is currently implementing a project, funded EU Partnership Instrument and the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, and Nuclear Safety (BMU) called “Strategic partnerships for the implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPIPA)”. The project aims to promote the implementation of the Paris Agreement in G20 countries, and to contribute to climate diplomacy dialogues and cooperation between the EU and non-European major economies including Indonesia. SPIPA will help translate political commitment for advancing bilateral dialogues and cooperation in the field of climate action into concrete interventions in line with the global ambition level as set by the Paris Agreement.
The objectives of SPIPA are to:
- Facilitate the exchange of climate policy options and good practices between the EU and non-European major economies (including Indonesia) with a view to enable policy changes;
- Advance bilateral cooperation and investment in pursuit of the goals of the Paris Agreement and of Nationally-Determined Contributions, and
- Contribute to improve public awareness, including by the business community, of challenges and opportunities associated with the implementation of the Paris Agreement.
The advisor is responsible for the implementation of the Indonesia’s component of the “Strategic partnerships for the implementation of the Paris Agreement (SPIPA)” project as funded by the European Union (EU) and the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) under the guidance of the DV for Global Project and SPIPA Programme Manager as well as instructions by the SPIPA Country Liaison Team.
The advisor will thereby support and engage with the SPIPA Country Liaison Team in Indonesia, comprised of the climate counsellor in the EU Delegation to Indonesia, the SPIPA management team at GIZ, the country correspondent in DG CLIMA and DG ENER, the climate correspondent in the relevant EEAS geographical directorate, and representatives of the German administration as co-sponsor of the project.
The professional advisor performs the following tasks:
- technical support to the management and logistical implementation of the Indonesia’s component within SPIPA;
- updating and improving the country climate profile (fiche), if necessary, with relevant expert support;
- supporting logistically and content-wise the organization of the annual EU Climate Diplomacy Week under instructions by the EU Delegation to Indonesia;
- supporting the ongoing process of re-defining and concretizing the Indonesia’s Country engagement strategy (CES) under SPIPA, with preparation of ideas to implement SPIPA in Indonesia;
- mapping of EU and MS’ climate cooperation activities and donor support for the Indonesia’s NDC implementation and identification of gaps and further needs, if necessary, with relevant expert support;
- planning and organising of high-level events, such as conferences, study visits, workshops and seminars (content-wise and logistically);
- preparation and implementation of expert visits to Indonesia;
- technical advice on the conceptualization, development and implementation of concrete projects, including development of procurement documents;
- advising on and managing procurement processes, contract management and tracking project budgets;
- steering and following up work carried out by consultants; quality management of deliverables;
- support to the planning, implementing and monitoring of activities within the component;
- support in ensuring consistence with activities of the climate support programmes as implemented by GIZ and other (global) projects activities under BMU´s International Climate Initiative (IKI) in this area as well as to support the IKI knowledge management;
- liaise with SPIPA communication officer in deploying adequate in-country project related communication; and
- other tasks as might be required.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Honours Degree (Masters/MSc would be an added advantage) in an area that is related to the project/programme objectives, such as political sciences, environmental management with a focus on climate change policy
- at least 10 years’ professional experience in a comparable position, preferably having work experience in cooperating with the national, and/or provincial / local government in Indonesia
- very good (working) knowledge of the climate change policy landscape in Indonesia and internationally, knowledge of the international climate negotiation processes under UNFCCC an added advantage
- experience in logistical support and coordination of project activities and events (e.g. event organization, contract management, procurement)
Other knowledge, additional competences
- excellent verbal and written communication skills
- organisational and project management skills
- willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management
- a good team player with interpersonal and collaboration skills
- very good working knowledge of ITC technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- fluent written and oral knowledge of English
Duty Station: Jakarta
Expect to join: waiting for political approval for the implementation of the project
Direct Report: DV Global Project and SPIPA country advisor
Interested candidates should submit a motivation letter, CV, trainings attended and list of references (a must), addressed to email@example.com. The closing date to submit the application letter is on May 21th, 2019.
Please indicate your application by putting the following code in the subject line: SPIPA – Advisor Climate Policy
Please name your file as the following format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa _Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa _Reference)
Only short-listed candidates will be notified