The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is an international cooperation enterprise for sustainable development with worldwide operations on behalf of the German Government. We work to shape a future worth living in over 120 countries around the world.
Indonesia plays an important role in achieving the targets set in the Paris Agreement and the Convention of Biological Diversity. The country is one of the ten largest greenhouse gas emitters worldwide with emissions continue to rise until 2030 according to the Nationally Determined Contribution (NDC). Moreover, Indonesia is considered to be one of the 17 mega-diverse country, with 2 of the world’s 25 hotspots, among other ranks of the word’s center of flora and fauna diversity. Prior to CBD ratification, in 1993, Bappenas and KLHK introduce Biodiversity Action Plan for Indonesia, followed by several revised documents known as Indonesia Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (IBSAP).
However, Indonesia also suffers from biodiversity loss and species extinction, due to the impact of climate change. Besides, being an archipelagic state, Indonesia is severely impacted by the consequences of climate change. The rich and unique biodiversity of the country is threatened by unsustainable practices. Committed to tackle these challenges, the Indonesian government has been developing a climate and biodiversity policy framework. However, it´s successful implementation requires the harmonization with national development planning, a coordinated approach of relevant actors at all levels as well as sufficient capacities and funding. An additional challenge is the Corona pandemic and the necessary measures to enable a “new normal”. Since 2010, main elements of IBSAP is integrated into RPJM and RKP. In RPJM 2020-2024, climate and biodiversity policy is further emphasized as national development priority.
Against this background, the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building, and Nuclear Safety (BMU) and the Indonesian Ministry for National Development Planning (BAPPENAS) agreed to jointly implement the Climate and Biodiversity Hub Indonesia Project. The project aims to support the Indonesian government in strengthening the mainstreaming and implementation of its climate and biodiversity policy, as well as Bappenas’ s role as think tank and clearing house in climate and biodiversity policy. Policy advise, capacity building and interministerial exchange will support the advancement of climate and biodiversity policy planning and implementation as well as mainstreaming with national development planning. This is accompanied by the improvement of transparency capacities, strengthened resource mobilization and the sharing and exchange of knowledge with the international community. Also, the project will function as the interface of the International Climate Initiative (IKI), BMU in Indonesia facilitating networking and communication between project implementers and with the Indonesian government.
To support implementation of the project in Indonesia, particularly for the project component under Bappenas (CLIMATE IMPACT RESPONSE AND BIODIVERSITY MANAGEMENT PLANNING IN INDONESIA, ClimB), we seek one person for this position.
- support the work area on Biodiversity and Climate Resilience for the Bappenas Component under the Climate and Biodiversity Hub Indonesia Project
- provide advice on biodiversity and climate resilience policies, mainstreaming into government development planning and monitoring systems, financing and biodiversity and climate resilience issues associated with the Sustainable Development Goals and relevant international conventions such as CBD.
- liaise with the Ministry of National Development Planning (Bappenas), the Ministry of Environment and Forestry (KLHK) and other relevant ministries in regard to the project implementation
- support the communication process with Bappenas on project administration (Implementation Agreement, grant registration, BAST and regular reports)
- Support the preparation of new projects in the thematic area of biodiversity such as the upcoming LASSO (Land- and Seascape Solutions) project
- ensure the synergy and coordination process among related actors at national and subnational level related to Biodiversity policy and climate resilience initiatives
- provide innovation, knowledge management and communication of innovation to partners and important stakeholders and conduct coordination with GIZ communication/knowledge management officer at Country Office Indonesia
- Project implementation, monitoring, reporting and administration
- supports project management including providing inputs to the annual workplan in close consultation with project partners and/or implementing agencies
- provides recommendations on identified needs, concept development and strategy formulation
- formulates terms of reference and supervises external support (consultant) assignments
- supports the organization of training sessions, seminars and other events including event organisation, programme development, input preparation and participant selection and outreach, among others
- supports monitoring of project progress and the activities of components, reviews reports and documents on the progress of joint programmes, evaluates and identifies bottlenecks and recommends alternative management options to the manager
- supports in reporting tasks, including but not limited to semi-annual and annual reports (to BMU) and quarterly and annual report to Bappenas as well as compile relevant data and materials
- supports the project administration process with Bappenas (Implementation Agreement/IA, IA amendment, grant registrations, BAST and regular reports)
- uses GIZ’s Capacity Works to manage the project activities.
- Professional advisory services
- provides advice for the concept development of the National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan (NBSAP) and Climate Resilience
- conducts reviews and provides technical inputs for drafting policy papers related to Biodiversity and Climate Resilience policy
- supports the work related to the development of papers on Biodiversity and Climate Resilience policy
- supports the work related to the design of monitoring and reporting concepts for biodiversity associated with NBSAP, Climate Resilience and development plans (such as RPJMN and RPJP)
- Networking and cooperation/liaison
- works closely with the Directorate of Environment Affairs of Bappenas for implementing the activities
- Supports the preparation of new projects such as the LASSO project (organize meetings with project partners, compile inputs for proposal development and project concept, support the arrangement and communication for project mission)
- ensures coordination and regular communication with the project team under the Climate and Biodiversity Hub Indonesia project
- ensures cooperation, regular contact and dialogue with partners, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
- facilitates communication between national and local government interests and efforts, and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of the project
- communicates regularly with other GIZ projects on specified topics related to low carbon development policy, climate change, communication, and digitalization
- Knowledge management
- compiles information related to biodiversity and climate resilience
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- supports the formulation of reports and presentation documents related to the working areas under his/her responsibilities
- formulates appropriate input for project reports
- formulates relevant information to feed into the IKI Hub Component (Output 4) as needed
- Other duties/additional tasks
- performs other duties and tasks at the request of the superior
- shares proactively information about the project with other relevant projects and seeks synergies across activities
- A university degree in a subject related to Natural Resource Management, Biology, Biodiversity/Conservation Management, and Environmental Sciences, Development Studies or related discipline.
- minimum 5 years professional experience related to environmental and biodiversity management
- strong knowledge of international, national, and local policies related to biodiversity conservation and climate change.
- strong knowledge of approaches to sustainable utilization of natural resources and conservation management.
- professional experience in writing policy papers is expected
- familiar and proven experience in providing technical assistance to governments, particularly Bappenas, as well as other national and/or sub-national organizations
- a good understanding of government development planning and monitoring concepts and procedures (RPJMN/RPJMD)
- familiar with the monitoring tool that have been developed under Directorate of Environmental Affairs Bappenas known as AKSARA
- excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills and ability to liaise and communicate effectively with government organizations
- experience in developing and facilitating capacity development programs, tools and training modules, ideally linked to biodiversity topics
- professional experience in communication, implementation, and monitoring processes of policy making at the national and subnational levels is an advantage
- access to networks into both public and private sectors in Indonesia regarding biodiversity and climate resilience issues is an advantage
Other knowledge, additional competences
- very good working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet), computer applications (e.g., MS Office)
- excellent written and oral knowledge of Bahasa Indonesia and English
- experience in international cooperation and/or cooperation with German organizations
- willingness to up skill as required by the tasks to be performed –corresponding measures are agreed with management
- strong organizational competence with good communication and coordination skills
- ability to work in an intercultural environment
Duty Station: Jakarta
Joining Date: a.s.a.p.
Direct Supervisor: Deputy Principal Advisor of Climate & Biodiversity Governance in Indonesia’s project/Team Leader for Bappenas Component
How to Apply
Please submit your motivation letter and comprehensive resume (including training and list of references) to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 24th, 2022 with subject line Climate & Biodiversity – Advisor on Biodiversity & Climate Resilience.
Please name your file as follow format:
[Your Complete Name]_[Motivation Letter/CV/Latest Education Certificate] (i.e: Nakula Sadewa_CV or Nakula Sadewa_Motivation Letter or Nakula Sadewa_Reference) – the attachments are not more than 300 KB.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified