A position has become available within the Yogyakarta office of The Australian Consortium for ‘In‐Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) for a Program Assistant (PA) to work on ACICIS’ Indonesian Language Programs and School Tours (ILST). This position and would suit a recent graduate of a local university, with an interest, and ideally some experience in, International Relations, Teaching, Education, Tourism and/ or Management. Please find below the position description. Interested applicants should submit a current CV and one-‐page statement (in English) addressing the Selection criteria below at the latest by Wednesday 20 September, 2017.
Please note this position is open to Indonesian nationals (WNI) only.
ABOUT ACICIS SCHOOL TOURS AND STUDY TOURS
Since 2012, ACICIS has facilitated school tours for high school-aged students (Years 8 -12) and study tours for educators, education professionals and education policy makers. Both tours are tailored to suit individual group needs and may run for five days up to three weeks. Tours generally comprise a mix of Indonesian language classes, cultural activities, visits to tourist sites and to partner schools in Yogyakarta and/ or other areas.
ABOUT INDONESIAN LANGUAGE PROGRAMS
Indonesian Language Teacher Immersion (ILTI)
The ILTI program is designed to produce high-quality Indonesian language teachers through a tailored ‘in-country’ program, based at the prestigious university Universitas Sanata Dharma (USD) in Yogyakarta. ILTI accommodates pre-service and in-service teachers, thereby increasing teacher supply and providing attractive and innovative pathways to fast-track advanced linguistic and classroom competence. The program is open to both new incoming candidates or as a second semester option for annual students.
Indonesian Language Short Course (ILSC)
The ILSC program provides intensive Indonesian language training for students from introductory to advanced levels. This program undertaken by ACICIS students at Universitas Kristen Satya Wacana (UKSW) in Salatiga. ACICIS runs five three-week ILSC sessions each year during university vacation periods, students can undertake the program either to fast-track or supplement language studies at their home university, or, for those students exploring an emerging interest in Indonesia, as an in-country, immersive introduction to the Indonesian language
Please visit ACICIS’ website for more information on our tours, ILTI and ILSC programs.
The PA reports directly to the ACICIS Deputy Resident Director (DRD) and also to ACICIS’ Office Manager (OM). Duties to be performed by the PA include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting the DRD and OM with program planning tasks, including: logistical assistance, securing accommodation, and administrative duties as required;
- Acting as a liaison with Universitas Sanata Dharma (USD) staff for the school tours program and Indonesian Language Teacher Immersion Program (ILTI);
- Acting as a liaison with Universitas Kristen Satya Wacana (UKSW) staff for the ILSC program;
- Assisting with the implementation phase of ACICIS school tours and acting as the tour leader;
- Assisting with the implementation phase of the ILSC and ILTI programs and acting as the Program Assistant on the ground in these programs;
- Updating and reviewing available options for ACICIS school tours’ field trips and Out-Of-ClassLanguage-Activities (OOCLAs);
- Collecting evaluation data from program participants upon completion of their program to assist ACICIS’ evaluation processes;
- Counselling students on matters of adjustment to Indonesian life, including attention to physical adjustment, Indonesian norms of behaviour and expectations regarding dress and use of appropriate language;
- Assisting the DRD and/ or ILSC Development Officer in providing assistance to students in routine and/or emergency medical or security procedures;
- Assisting the DRD, ILSC Development Officer and/ or OM with other tasks and/ or ACICIS programs when called upon to do so from time to time.
Working Hours and Remuneration
The role is full time, 40 hours per week, with the understanding that the scheduling of program events means that the distribution of hours over the period of a week may be flexible. Standard work hours are 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, with a one hour lunch break. Occasional out-of-hours work will be required during Orientation sessions and extra-curricular activities. This role may require some out of town travel.
The role will be remunerated at a competitive rate, commensurate with the applicant’s skills and experience.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree from an Indonesian university with a sound academic record in a related discipline (eg. Teaching, Education, Tourism, and/ or Management, English Literature, International Education);
- At least two years of professional experience in a relevant position (administration, communication, tourism, language teaching, international education);
- One to two years’ experience in mentoring or teaching international students, ideally within a high school or university context;
- Professional level of English proficiency, and a willingness to develop this further as a part of the role;
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise a range of competing tasks;
- Demonstrated cross‐cultural communication skills and a willingness to learn about new cultures;
- Current Class A or C driver’s license (SIM) and access to a motorbike.
In preparing your statement addressing the above selection criteria, please provide examples where possible of how you meet each criterion. Applications which do not address the selection criteria will not be considered.
Please visit our website: www.acicis.edu.au to learn more about our programs and the work we do before preparing your application.
Please email all completed applications to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attn: Ms Ida Kusuma, ACICIS Assistant Office Manager
Subject Heading: ACICIS ILST PA Job Vacancy 2017
By latest deadline: 17:00 WIB, Wednesday 20 September, 2017.