A position has become available within the Bandung office of the Australian Consortium for ‘In-Country’ Indonesian Studies (ACICIS) for a part-time Program Assistant. This is an entry-level position and would suit a recent graduate of a reputable university, or a final year Bachelor student, with an interest in International Relations, the Australia-Indonesia relationship, Journalism, Development Studies, English literature, education or cultural diplomacy. Please find attached the position description. Interested applicants should submit a current CV and one-page statement (in English) addressing the Selection criteria below at the latest by Friday, 19 July, 2019.
ACICIS has two semester programs for Australian and other international students, hosted at Parahyangan Catholic University (UNPAR) Bandung. The first program is the International Relations Program (IRP) which enables students to study in one of Indonesia’s foremost IR departments at UNPAR. Taught in English, the IRP provides students with a comprehensive understanding of international relations at the regional and global levels, as seen from an Indonesian perspective, while developing necessary critical skills to enter the field of international relations. The second program is the West Java Field Study (WJFS) Program. It is a semester-long field study option, where students propose, refine, and undertake a semester-long field study project under the guidance of a nominated UNPAR supervisor. It is open to advanced Indonesian-language students (who compose their mini-thesis in Indonesian) and non-Indonesian speakers for whom all course components are conducted in English.
This is an entry-level position and would suit a recent graduate of an Indonesian or Australian university. The PA works with the current full-time Bandung Program Assistant, and reports directly to the ACICIS Deputy Resident Director (DRD) and also to ACICIS’ Resident Director (RD). Duties to be performed by the Bandung Program Assistant include, but are not limited to:
- The planning of program events in Bandung including orientation, excursions and other activities as directed by the DRD or RD;
- Acting as a liaison with Universitas Parahyangan (UNPAR) Bandung;
- Assisting ACICIS International Relations Program (IRP) and West Java Field Study (WJFS) students to complete registration/enrolment for classes;
- Organising a regular weekly meeting (‘catch-ups’) with the students, individually or in a group, to monitor academic/non-academic progress/issues and report to DRD;
- Counselling students on matters of adjustment to Indonesian life, including attention to physical adjustment, Indonesian norms of behaviour and expectations regarding dress and use of appropriate language;
- Assisting the DRD in providing assistance to students in routine and/or emergency medical or security procedures;
- Assisting the DRD or RD with other tasks when called upon to do so from time to time.
Working Hours and Remuneration
- The role is part time, 20 hours per week; with the understanding that the scheduling of program events means that the distribution of hours over the period of a week may be flexible. Standard work hours are 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday, with a one hour lunch break. Occasional out-of-hours work will be required during Orientation sessions and extra-curricular activities;
- The role will be remunerated at a competitive rate commensurate with the applicants’ skills and experience;
- Work-related expenses will be paid for and are to be acquitted and submitted to ACICIS Finance and Administration Officer on a monthly basis, including transportation and communication costs for work-related activities (mobile phone credit);
- The contract is for six months, for the period of 5 August 2019 – 31 January 2020. Extension is subject to a performance review one month prior to the end of the contract term.
- Completed Bachelor’s Degree from a reputable university with a sound academic record;
- Professional level of English proficiency, and a willingness to develop this further as a part of the role;
- Computer literacy in using the Microsoft Office suite, social media applications; and Photoshop/InDesign (desirable);
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to prioritise a range of tasks;
- Demonstrated cross-cultural communication skills and a willingness to learn about new cultures;
- A team-player with a pleasant personality;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
How to Apply
In preparing your statement addressing the above selection criteria, please provide examples where possible of how you meet each criterion. Please visit our website: www.acicis.edu.au to learn more about our programs and the work we do before preparing your application.
Completed applications can be emailed to: email@example.com
Attn: Ms Ida Kusuma, ACICIS Finance and Administration Officer
Subject Heading: ACICIS Bandung PA Job Vacancy
By latest deadline: Friday, 19 July, 2019
- Address Bandung